Sunday, May 23, 2010

My weak attempt at gardening....

So, I may have mentioned a time or two that I don't do bugs. Like at all. Spiders in particular. Once there was a spider on the floor of the tub when I was mid-shower and when I saw it I jumped THROUGH the curtain (bringing the whole assembly down with me) and ran through the house screaming towards my unsuspecting husband who was kind enough to 1. Shut off the water, 2. Kill the wicked spider, and 3. Replace the shower curtain & bar so I could finish.

So needless to say, when it comes to gardening, I'm more of a floral foam sorta gal. IF, and thats a big fat hugeeeeeeee IF, I plant anything, its in a container, never in the ground (that's where the most bugs are).

Well whats a girl who is afraid of bugs to do when she wants some lovely outdoor flowers? Find a container and plant them from the safety of her deck :)
Well wouldn't you know, that's just what I did :)

Only, I'm not a traditional gal, so of course I wanna plant my stuff in somethin' funkayyyyyyyyy
It all started with this:


My WONDERFUL friend Flip-Flopping Mamma gave me this FABULOUS enameled pot last year. It has rusted through on the bottom resulting in a few small holes so I thought it would be GREAT for flowers! Obviously, to fill that thing with dirt would make it incredibly heavy (believe me...I did it last year), so this year I filled it 1/2 with Styrofoam peanuts and 1/2 with potting soil. MUCH MUCH easier to move around!

But it doesn't stop there...now I'm on the lookout for more "unlikely" garden containers. Take a look at my next unsuspecting victims......

What sorts of funky stuff do you have in your yard?

PS-I am having exploratory surgery tomorrow to find out why these fertility treatments haven't worked thus far. I will try to maintain regular posts this week, but if I don't come around for a couple days, that's why ;)

14 comments:

  1. This looks great. I use peanuts in all my pots and the holes in the bottom of the pot make for great water drainage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh about the spider in the shower because it sounds like something I might do. I've often told my husband that I really hope a bee doesn't fly down my shirt in public because I'm NOT RESPONSIBLE for how I act when a bug gets on me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different containers make for an interesting garden. Love the enamel pot filled with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, my daughter who is 17, is the same way about spiders...so I can relate. Will keep you in my prayers about your testings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I remember my mom cooking chili in a pot just like this, when I was a kid!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to tell you I found you from All Thingz Related. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that planter! That turned out so great. And I can't wait to see the others! My daughters the same way about spiders - came from a bad experience in a hotel room. :)
    Praying you have answers after your testing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never thought of using peanuts -- fabulous idea. Your containers are beautiful -- I use enamel too! They do get extra hot in the summer though, so the plants need more water than with a normal container. Just thought I'd mention that because the first year I used the enamel pots, the roots of my plants fried!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job!! Love it!! Check out my giveaway here...

    http://jillybeansdoggieboutique.blogspot.com/2010/05/doggie-bed-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you fill both those other pots with flowers or plants and group them all on the same deck that is going to be one awesome container garden! Line the colander with some moss or something though so the soil doesnt drain right out. Good luck with your DR visit. I hope you get encouraging news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love plants in enamelware. Good save!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I have one of those holey enamel pots, I am going to totally do this and today! Thanks for the inspiration, your pot looks really pretty. And one thing about gardening...you can always plant something else if the first plant doesn't grow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! You did a great job! Almost all my planters are non-traditional, it makes it more interesting that way.
    I'd love for you to add this to my Weekend Warrior linky party on It's A Blog Party (my other blog) where everyday I host a different linky party! Sundays are for gardening!
    http://itsablogparty.com
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete