Friday, February 12, 2010

Ballard Design DIY...

Well, when I got my Ballard Design catalog in the mail, I fell in love with a couple of things. Then I saw the prices. Ya'll saw these cute storage boxes right?

































Ummmmmmmmmm, $30, for 5 boxes, made of paper? Yeah, I'll pass.

So, I decided to set out to make these myself. It started with a 3 piece set of paper mache boxes I already had in my stash. And tho I liked the postmark stamp/script print on the Ballard boxes, I have none of those stamps or that type of scrapbook paper, so instead, I scored a couple of sheet music books from the local thrift store for .99 cents a piece. Then, I modge podged to my hearts content.












Once I got them covered in the sheet music, I trimmed the edges with an exacto knife, and then trimmed them in black satin ribbon with my hot glue gun. (I only suffered minor burns with this glue gun experience, so I was quite pleased.)
























When it came time for the silhouettes, theres a few things you can do. Freehand them (I am NOT that talented, but I'm sure some of you are). Look for free printables online. Or, pick up old silhouettes at garage sales and thrift stores to use as templates in your future projects!

























All in all I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. And one thing I did different...I noticed the inside of Ballard's boxes were decorated. I plan on stashing these babies full, so no one needs to look inside. So instead of going to all that trouble, I just painted the inside white.

So whaddya think? Mine cost under $10...much much better...

Visit thecsiproject.com

33 comments:

  1. I like when I save money and have the joy of creating. Lovely little boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice knock of! I love silhouettes and music paper, so wonderful combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also saw these in Ballard catalog and loved them...just not the price. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are just like the expensive ones! That's so cool!

    (Did you know you can make the paper look "antique" with a tea bag?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job! They look like the "real thing"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ballards and your boxes turned out great...and when you get tired of them you won't feel "guilty" about getting rid of them...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours turned out just as good, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is Wonderful! You did a great job...and I agree I love Ballard designs, but way overpriced for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look wonderful! Great creativity.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job... they look wonderful!! Love the sheet music you used! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed! Truly!

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those really turned out beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your boxes even better than your inspiration. I can't wait to poke around your site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool! I'm linking to these tomorrow from Dollar Store Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice! I was wondering when someone would do this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hee hee, I just thought of something -

    - is Bobby supposed to be the dude in the mullet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How funny! I just got my catalog in the mail this weekend and thought "I HAVE to make those boxes!" Thanks for posting your tutorial. I can't wait to make some too. They turned out great.
    http://www.theficklehobbyist.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely! Thank you for making the tutorial so concise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great job!! It is probably because of Ballard's that I want to make these of my boys silouettes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Silouhettes are not difficult... You could really personalize these with your own.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love them! Yours are much cuter that the originals too!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those boxes turned out great and are perfect knock offs. Don't you love the satisafation of making something yourself for a fraction of the cost? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've seen these in the Ballard Design catalog, too, & I LOVE them! Your's looks fantastic!! Great job! You've motivated me to make my own!
    ~Rebekah @allthingzrelated~ We're hosting a giveaway next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These have been on my idea board for some time now! I love how yours turned out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - what a little effort and time can produce. Yours look exactly like the Ballard ones.

    ReplyDelete