Thursday, April 8, 2010

Don't pay out the butt for b&w photography!!!!!!!

Black & White photography has been all the rage in decorating for a while now, and I don't know about you, but I think its here to STAY!!!! I LOVE b&w photography, and am constantly ooing and ahhing over it at stores.

BUT-I've never bought a single piece, and why? Because its MUCH cheaper to go take it yourself!!!!! I learned this lesson last year when I contacted a local photographer about an image he had taken, and I wanted to order it in black and white. He got all diva on me and told me he couldn't just "make" the image black and white without compromising the blah blah blah blah blah.

I thought, well forget you buddy, I'll go take the same dang pic myself! And I did...and I was THRILLED with it!!!!!!!! The house that I am decorating currently is on a beautiful lake with the most UH-MAZING willow tree in the back yard...GOR-GEOUS. So I decided to photograph that for some decor, and I may throw in some of my favs from our local park too!

So anyway, next time you're oodling over some b&w prints, think to yourself "could I do this on my own?" And TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is some of my FAV b&w landscapes that I've shot. Oh, and PS, only ONE of the following images was taken with an SLR camera...the rest were all point and shoot. Can you guess which one? :)





7 comments:

  1. Im going to say the second to the last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures.... I love black & white photos. I just use my HP Photo center and change the photos I like to black & white, then print them out onto photo paper. I can't see paying for expensive black & white pictures when I can do them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! I love the waterfall and couldn't even begin to guess which one is the SLR! I've been wanting to do this with a barn up the road. I may give it a try with my point and shoot! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nikki, the B&W are good, but is there anyway you can get those beautiful lime green leaves to show up on the black and white? I love the B&W with a touch of color they are so much more dramatic! I didn't want to forget before I talked to you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous! The waterfall is ace, I never manage to get water properly.
    Only a thought- maybe it would be interesting to see what they look like with an increased contrast, especially the tree lined road. Just like your mom, I have a thing for drama :) So go on, then, which one is the SLR shot? I can't even guess!

    ReplyDelete